Celltrion merger plan approved by shareholders
简介Korean biosimilar giant Celltrion and its marketing unit Celltrion Healthcare received shareholders’ ...
Korean biosimilar giant Celltrion and its marketing unit Celltrion Healthcare received shareholders’ approval for their merger on Monday, paving the way for the launch of an integrated company planned for December.
During the extraordinary general shareholders meetings separately held by the two companies in Incheon, Celltrion won with 97.04 percent of attendees voting in favor of the merger, while 95.17 percent of Celltrion Healthcare shareholder attendees agreed with the plan.
Under the scheme, Celltrion will absorb the sales unit, exchanging Celltrion Healthcare’s shares for every 0.4492620 Celltrion shares.
With the merger approved, shareholders who dissent to the merger can exercise their appraisal rights to demand Celltrion purchase their shares from Monday until Nov. 13.
The appraisal right exercise prices for Celltrion and Celltrion Healthcare are 150,813 won ($111) and 67,251 won, respectively. The two companies aim to wrap up the tie-up on Dec. 28.
Celltrion Group's founder and Honorary Chairman Seo Jung-jin showed confidence in making the merger successful after gaining shareholders' backing. “With this, the uncertainty of the merger has disappeared,” he said after the proposal was approved.
Prior to the shareholders meeting, Celltrion encountered an unexpected obstacle due to the abstention of the National Pension Service, the second-largest shareholder of the firm. The National Pension Service, which holds a 7.43 percent stake in Celltrion, effectively voted against the merger plan in order to exercise its stock purchase rights. The stock purchase rights standard price of 150,813 won was higher than the previous day's closing price, which was 142,200 won, so it was interpreted as a decision to prevent losses.
If the National Pension Service exercises its stock purchase rights for the entire stake it owns in Celltrion, Celltrion will be required to pay over 1.64 trillion won.
Celltrion's board of directors has set the limit for the total amount that the company is to pay for those exercising the appraisal rights at 1 trillion won.
However, after the merger was approved, Seo said the threshold won’t be a hindrance.
“If the total amount for the money for appraisal exceeds 1 trillion won, I will invest and push through it unconditionally, even if it means taking on debt,” he said. “After the general shareholders meeting, I will meet the board of directors and persuade them.”
In August, Celltrion announced its plan to integrate the group's three listed firms -- Celltrion, Celltrion Healthcare, and Celltrion Pharm -- to enhance business synergy and operational efficiency.
Under the plan, if the merger process between Celltrion and Celltrion Healthcare is complete within the year, a second-stage merger with Celltrion Pharm will be carried out within the next six months.
Shares in Celltrion shed 0.28 percent from Friday's closing, while Celltrion Healthcare shares dropped 0.31 percent as of 1:30 p.m Monday.
Several passengers commuting on a subway line connecting Seoul with its western satellite city of Gi ...
이기식 병무청장이 13일 서울 여의도 국회에서 열린 국방위원회 국정감사에서 의원들의 질의에 답변하고 있다. 뉴스1최근 막을 내린 2022 항저우 아시안게임에 출전해 병역 특혜를 받 ...
South Korea and the United Arab Emirates have agreed to increase the maximum number of commercial fl ...
- Auditor says Moon govt distorted 2020 death of fisheries official
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- Tourism potential of Philippines, Korea discussed at GBF
- [Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
LG wins SOAFEE board membership to join Arm, Bosch
[Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
[News Focus] Why Kim Jong
Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- US deploys fighter jets in S. Korea for air exercise in Singapore
- Seoul shares open lower on US losses
- Province office raided in probe into wife of opposition leader
- [Today’s K
- S. Korea, Canada sign MOU on climate change cooperation
- Yoon replaces 6 ministers ahead of his 3rd year, general election
- Seoul shares open lower on US losses
- North Korea threatens consequences after South Korea launches 1st spy satellite
- 폰에 '파이팅' 문자 있는 여성 끌려갔다…北, 청년에 이런 단속
- [Hello Hangeul] Inside the Korean language classroom in Madrid
- [Today’s K
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- 163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
- Beef prices have soared 100
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- S.Korea's largest
- S. Korea set to open largest
- Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- 윤 대통령 “국민소통·현장소통·당정소통 강화하라”
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
- Hyundai Motor shows off air mobility, drone tech at Seoul defense fair
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities