Things to note to prevent disputes in international contracts: The critical clause of governing law
简介With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importanc ...
With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importance of well-reviewed international contracts. It is important to understand the core of international contracts, as disputes in international trade could dramatically increase the costs in terms of time and money. Here, we discuss the concepts of international contracts with Attorney Han Daeun, from law firm Law-win.
Q. What is an international contract?
An international contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more parties from different countries. With globalization, various types of international contracts emerged such as international supply agreements, distribution agreements, manufacturing agreements, and share transfer agreements. As the parties involved in the contract usually have various sociolinguistic, cultural, and legal backgrounds, they tend to have different understandings of the legal terms or conditions stipulated in the contract, resulting in uncertainty, vagueness, and potential risks. To minimize such uncertainties, an international contract must be advised with precision and checked on a regular basis.
Q: Which country's law applies?
A: Governing law or applicable law is a contractual provision that determines which law shall apply in the event of a dispute in an international contract. Each country has its own private international law that regulates the governing law. In general, in cases where no governing law clause has been stipulated, the contract may be governed according to the jurisdiction that has the most important connection to the agreement. For instance, the location of the contract takes place, where the products are distributed.
Q: Can we choose a governing law for the international contract?
A: The parties can reach an agreement when deciding on governing law. The governing law could be one from either side of the party or any other laws irrelevant to the contract. There are various factors to consider when reaching an agreement on governing law, such as the consistency between the governing law clause and jurisdiction clause, the international customary practice, the types of market, and types of law (civil law or common law). Hence, the company should analyze the market and its business carefully and discuss with the experts which law should be included in their international contract's governing law.
Law firm Law-Win’s international litigation advisory team has been established to effectively resolve domestic and international legal disputes without language barriers, working by competent attorneys specialized in various practical areas such as criminal law, civil law, bankruptcy, etc and 49 interpreters of 14 languages (Sri Lankan, English, Thai, Arabic, Russian, French, Mongolian, Chinese, Myanmar, Japanese, Khmer, German, Vietnamese, and Uzbek. -- Ed.
President Yoon Suk Yeol was selected as one of the 71 most stylish people of 2023 by US newspaper Th ...
The Korea Agro-Fisheries & Food Trade Corp. said Wednesday it has launched a consultative body to pr ...
The top diplomats of South Korea, the United States and Japan held three-way talks on the sidelines ...
- Things look bright for ‘Past Lives’ Oscars prospects
- N. Korea 'satisfied' with tests of solid
- N. Korea 'satisfied' with tests of solid
- FNC's new boy group Ampers&One debuts with energetic, youthful single
- LG Display to cut jobs in cost
- [Herald Interview] ‘Daily Dose of Sunshine’ director, actor say drama consoled them
Four Korean drama series nominated for Critics Choice Awards
S. Korea, US, Japan reaffirm cooperation
Korean chip giant chiefs to travel to Netherlands with president
Shanghai art scene puts on fair show while struggling to recover from pandemic
AliExpress vows to invest W10b to root out fake goods in Korea
Why Suneung is always on a Thursday
- Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
- 악수 청한 윤 대통령에 김용민 “이제 그만두셔야죠”
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- AmCham reaffirms Korea
- CJ Olive Young opens foreigner
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- Sombre palaces, tombs swathed in fall colors
- Subway car seats to be removed in two subway cars for more space: Seoul Metro
- Yoon doubles down on cutting national debt in 2024 budget speech
- Jungkook ties record for most Billboard Hot 100 hits as K
- Seoul to provide 10,000 portable safety alarms to potential gender
- S. Korea's economy grows 0.6% in Q3, unchanged from earlier estimate
- [KH Explains] Why tighter US subsidy rules could boost Chinese firms
- Korea, Japan hold working
- N. Korea closes 7 embassies, now down to 46, says Seoul
- Over 70,000 teens homeless, urgent support needed: professor
- Posco wins W300b EV parts deal with US carmaker
- [Contribution] Future of agriculture
- Seoul shares open tad higher on tech, financial gains
- Korean students outperform OECD average amid pandemic havoc: data
- 5 cities in Japan splashed with Seventeen
- Korean defense firms head to Egypt defense expo to expand market presence
- JCS head stresses readiness against enemy drones in Seoul skies
- Yoon's approval rating drops to 33%: Yonhap News Survey
- Lotte renews online grocery sales race with new mega facility
- Storing away for a more compact life
- [Today’s K
- Drunk driver who killed father of two gets 10 years
- Man adopts 2 cats, just to kill them
- 'Making economy more dynamic a top priority': finance minister nominee