NCSoft to tear loose from Lineage: CEO
简介BUSAN -- NCSoft CEO Kim Taek-jin declared the company's strategic shift from its traditional ro ...
BUSAN -- NCSoft CEO Kim Taek-jin declared the company's strategic shift from its traditional roots in Lineage, its series of massively multiplayer online role-playing games -- or MMORPGs -- to diverse gaming genres, responding to a downturn in earnings and a shift in gamer preferences.
The CEO made this announcement during an unexpected appearance at the company's booth at G-Star 2023 gaming expo held last week in Busan.
"Our objective is to delve into a multitude of gaming genres that resonate with all kinds of trends in the global gaming industry. Expect to see NCSoft will broaden its horizons in the coming years,” Kim said.
NCSoft's recent financial report pointed to challenges, with a decline in third quarter 2023 earnings. The company reported a decrease in consolidated revenue and a significant drop in operating and net income, primarily due to the waning interest in its mobile Lineage series.
Marking its return after an eight-year absence from G-Star, NCSoft unveiled a slew of new titles, stepping away from its predominantly mobile gaming focus, which has historically generated over half of its revenue.
The new game lineup from NCSoft included a diverse array of genres for different tastes. "LLL" is a looter shooter, blending the excitement of action shooting with elements of role-playing. "Project G" is the company’s first real-time strategy game, where planning and tactics are crucial. "Puzzup Amitoi" caters to puzzle enthusiasts, while "Battle Crush" is an action-packed brawler game, emphasizing combat skills. "BSS" is a collectible role-playing game, inviting players to build and enhance a team of characters.
But there is not a complete exit from NCSoft's bread-and-butter format. A standout release is "Throne and Liberty," an MMORPG for PC and console, set for a Dec. 7 release. The game promises to differentiate with dynamic environments and large-scale guild wars.
Battle Crush and BSS are nearing their release early next year, with later releases for LLL and others.
The diversification reflects a growing trend in Korea, where console gaming is gaining ground. Four of NCSoft's new games are primarily developed for consoles, marking a departure from its mobile-centric recent past.
Kim also noted the changing demographics in gaming, indicating a shift toward genres and styles that were once considered niche.
"We're seeing a new generation of gamers shaping the market. Genres once considered niche are now hitting the mainstream. As player preferences evolve, so does our game development, and we aim to be at the forefront of this change,” he said.
South Korean stocks closed nearly flat Wednesday as major shares ended in mixed territory. The local ...
Samsung Electronics Co. predicted Wednesday its operating profit for the third quarter is likely to ...
Seoul shares opened higher Thursday, tracking overnight gains on Wall Street, boosted by dovish comm ...
- [KH Explains] China ups OLED ante to take over Korean shares
- More webtoon
- Trend forecaster Kim Ran
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- [KH Explains] Banks, regulators trade blame for snowballing ELS losses
- Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- N. Korea makes 3rd spy satellite launch attempt
- 김기현 “한동훈 자질, 대한민국 위해 잘 발휘될 수 있게 할 것”
- Meritz carries out reshuffle for group synergy
- S. Korea, Britain vow closer ties in nuclear energy sector
- LG Chem boosts diverse ESG campaigns
- Number of youth addicted to online gambling rises
- Oman celebrates 53rd National Day, calls Korea reliable ally
- Korea, UK will unite for Indo
- Man arrested for stabbing restaurant owner in Paju
- [Herald Interview] VIXX highlights group’s continuity in 5th EP ‘Continuum’
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- Top conglomerates to start executive reshuffles
- "최강욱 '설치는 암컷' 발언 뭔 잘못이냐"는 야권 여성인사
- [Today’s K
- Samsung renews CSR push for multicultural families, seniors
- 이원욱 “이재명, 최강욱 징계 반발하는 개딸과 이별해야”
- SK, Hilleman team up to develop next
- 이재명 "가장 큰 문제는 오만, 몸가짐·마음가짐 철저 관리를"
- 내년 총선, 정부여당 견제론 44% 지원론 44% '동률' [NBS]
- 이준석 "난 박근혜 키즈 넘어섰다…한동훈도 尹키즈 벗어나야"
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains amid rate woes
- Leeum Museum ecological project starts Dec. 1 with Chanel Culture Fund
- Korea inks 37 deals with UK, vows closer ties
- 이준석 “한동훈, 나 때문에 일찍 등판한 거면 너무 빨랐다”
- 이상민 “민주당 지도부 아무도 연락 없어, 어느 정도 마음 정했다”
- Dreamcatcher returns as 'villains' with special power
- After 13 years, Naver's 'OnStage' music show bids farewell
- Dyson vows to enhance customer service in Korea
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- [Herald Interview] ‘Digital paradigm shift to VR will happen 2026’